Some 200 protesters gathered beneath Rio de Janeiro’s world-famous Sugarloaf Mountain to protest the ongoing construction of ziplines aimed at boosting tourism, alleging it will cause unacceptable impacts.
The four steel lines will run 755 meters (almost 2,500 feet) over the forest between Sugarloaf and Urca Hill, and riders will reach speeds of 100 km/h (62mph). Inauguration is schedule for the second half of this year, and an online petition to halt works has been signed by almost 11,000 people.
Sugarloaf — known in Portuguese as Pao de Açucar— juts out of the earth at the entrance to Rio’s bay. The U.N.’s heritage center named it a World Heritage Site in 2012 along with Rio’s other marquis mountains and, years earlier, Brazil’s heritage institute designated it a national monument.
The cable cars to its summit draw hundreds of thousands of Brazilian and international tourists each year, all eager to take in the panoramic views of the sprawling city’s beaches and forested mountains.
It is also a popular spot for sport climbing and birdwatching with preserved Atlantic Forest in a conservation unit, which towers over the sleepy Urca neighborhood. As such, the prospect of riders buzzing down wires while screaming wildly has united mountaineers, environmental activists and residents in opposition. They caution UNESCO could withdraw its heritage status. One protester on Sunday held a sign reading, “S.O.S. UNESCO”, and the group often broke out into chants of “Zipline out!”
“We are completely opposed to the transformation – which in truth has been happening for some time – of the summits of Urca Hill and Sugarloaf into an entertainment hub,” said André Ilha, a former director of biodiversity and protected areas of Rio state’s environment institute and founder of environmental non-profit Ecological Action Group.
“This is inducing people to go there for reasons that aren’t why the cable car was conceived: to appreciate the landscape,” he said.
Many residents of Urca are likewise displeased.
“We live in a small, peaceful neighborhood. There will be visual and audible impact; no one goes down a a zipline in silence,” said Aurimar dos Prazeres, president of a residents’ association. “And it isn’t one zipline. It’s four of them. One hundred people going down each hour. That’s craziness, and very big impact. ”
Parque Bondinho Pao de Açúcar, which operates the cable cars and is behind the 50-million reais ($9.5 million) project, said in a statement that sound tests indicate noise from riders will not be perceptible from below, nor will it affect climbing routes. It says it has obtained all the necessary authorizations and licenses for the project from the national heritage institute and municipal authorities And it touts the ability to drive tourism.
“In addition to the great integration with nature, the intention is to improve the experience of our visitors and make the visit to the Parque Bondinho Pao de Açucar Park even more pleasant and unforgettable,” the company says on the zipline’s website.
The company also says it consulted society ahead of time. Residents, at least, say that’s not true.
Prazeres told The Associated Press her association wasn’t approached until after works were already underway, and amid complaints. Juliana Freire, president of another residents’ association, told the AP the company brought up its intention to develop the zipline during a meeting last year about another subject, but never made any formal presentation.
Freire says the national heritage institute that gave its OK to the zipline had recently barred construction of a lifeguard tower on the beach below Sugarloaf.
Ilha told the AP that the project was presented to the natural monument’s council, comprised of government and civil society, but that members had been awaiting presentation of an additional sound study. The company said in its statement that further studies on sound and traffic are underway.
Activists on Sunday also expressed concern the zipline is a harbinger of future interventions. The company that administers the cable cars is studying a project that would modify the structure atop Sugarloaf’s summit.
Opponents have nicknamed it “the castle of horrors” and warn of all sorts of potential constructions — almost none of which appear in the company’s proposal. The company says the future project wouldn’t entail expansion of its current footprint nor the opening of new stores, and is meant to facilitate observation of the landscape, improve accessibility for the handicapped and separate the flow of tourists, workers and cargo.
By DAVID BILLER
Showing posts with label Brasil. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Brasil. Show all posts
Sunday, March 26, 2023
Sunday, January 21, 2018
Rio de Janeiro: Official Schedule for 2018 Carnival Blocos

473 block (Blocos) of groups aim to lead residents and tourists into euphoria at the upcoming famous Rio de Janeiro Carnival
The official Tourism Company of the Municipality of Rio de Janeiro (Riotur) released the official list of the famous blocos earlier this week, confirming the events that will parade through the city during the 2018 Carnival period.
Most blocos will parade through Zona Sul (South Zone), where 128 are held, and the rest will be distributed in other regions of the city.
The number is slightly higher than the number of groups that had authorization in 2017, when 451 blocos were approved and held 578 parades.
The announcement this year came two weekends after the start of unofficial bloco testing events, which have already spread throughout the city. One of the reasons is due to some big changes in the organization and funding of Carnival this year.
The new program of the ‘Arena Carnaval Rio’, or the Blocódromo, a controversial initiative of the city hall that intends to gather revelers in the Olympic Park, in Barra da Tijuca, includes seven major blocos, among them ‘Cordão da Bola Preta’ and ‘Bangalafumenga’, and five samba schools.
Rane Souza, director at RS Language Services, is from Minas Gerais but has lived in Rio for years, and is not sure that the changes are good. “It will certainly change the feeling on the streets because most blocos are deeply rooted in the neighborhoods they were first set up,” she explains.
When asked about her bloco plans she shares, “I’ll be traveling during Carnival. I’m spending time with my folks in Minas Gerais. But, if I were in Rio I would go to: Thriller Elétrico, in Vila Isabel; Põe na quentinha, in Centro; Mulheres Rodadas, in Catete; Agytoê, Viemos do Egito, and Boitatá, in Centro.”
While officials promise there are attractions spread out between Carnival Saturday (February 10th) and Ash Wednesday (February 14th), anyone who wants to go to the Blocódromo will have to wait a little longer to know exactly what the attractions will be.
This is because the published listing does not give the name of the schools that will be presenting (one each day, from 11AM to 12 Noon) and also reserves a time slot for a “surprise attraction” (from 12 Noon to 2PM).
See the full list of 2018 Carnival blocos as a PDF file here.
By
Thursday, September 4, 2014
Make Yourself At Home In Rio De Janeiro With Apartment Rentals Starting At $160 Per Night
The World Cup has just finished, but with the Rio Exclusive lettings agency,
why not take it to extra time and experience a real slice of Carioca life?
The World Cup is over, but if you missed the action, don’t worry, you can still seize the opportunity to treat yourself to the holiday of a lifetime in Rio de Janeiro, now that the city is quieter and prices have dropped! If you want to live the Carioca experience to the full, there’s no better way to do so than renting an apartment in the iconic Copacabana, Ipanema and Leblon districts. This is the perfect alternative to 4 and 5 star hotels, which are often ridiculously expensive and not up to the standards expected by international travellers due to the city’s chronic shortage of tourist accommodation.
Founded in 2007 by Arnaud Bughon, a Frenchman who fell in love with the ‘Marvellous City’, the Rio Exclusive lettings agency has become the specialist par excellence of rental apartments to suit all budgets, from studio apartments and 1-bedroom apartments starting per night at US$160 to luxurious 3 or 4 room apartments with sweeping views, coberturas (penthouses) fit for a star and complete with their own swimming pool, and architect-designed villas. They all have certain things in common, namely real character and locations in the most sought-after districts of the ‘Marvellous City’. With plenty of room for friends and family if needs be, these lettings are second-to-none for comfort - coziness and spaciousness also come as standard!
Another significant advantage: regardless of whether a simple studio or a luxurious designer cobertura is selected, each Rio Exclusive client enjoys access to an emergency telephone line, which can be contacted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for any type or problem or specific request. Truly an asset in this city that is often complicated to navigate!
On the high-end side, Rio Exclusive also rents exceptional private villas with tropical gardens, pools, and ocean views, located in the city’s surrounding area and even … a private island 40 minutes away from Rio, in the idyllic bay of Angra dos Reis.
Its Concierge Service handles diverse requests, from the most basic (reservations for excursions, catering, and drivers, etc.) to the most extravagant (event planning with DJs, yacht or helicopter chartering, etc.).
The agency has built up such a reputation that it is now frequently called upon by international celebrities to organize their stays in Rio - Justin Bieber at the end of 2013 and Rihanna this year being just two examples.
The agency also specializes in purchasing luxury apartments in Brazil, a particularly attractive investment for foreigners, given the strength of the real estate market in Brazil and in Rio, the Olympic city in 2016.
info@rioexclusive.com - Tel. : +55 21 2137 9786 (service in English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish, and Russian)
Follow us on Twitter: @TraveloreReport
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)

